Thursday 25 April 2013

Stay safe (a story created by R)

Although we have access to ipads all the time in our classroom, we continue to develop awareness of different ways to assure they are being used most effectively.  Cautiously we examine apps to download and try to avoid those that mirror a 'gaming' focus.  Instead students are encouraged to use apps that allow them to research, to extend and record their thinking and learning, and to create.  Apps such as PuppetPals, Toontastic, Felt Board and Draw and Tell HD can be used to inspire story lines and lessons that contain important student driven messages to be shared with others.   

R created an important safety video on Draw and Tell.  The app allowed her to easily choose her background and characters and all were interactive (she was able to move them around as she talked).  One drawback of this app is she ran out of time recording so it had to be recorded in two parts. The video was then saved to photos on the ipad and then uploaded to you tube. 

Below is a conversation I had with her about her video.

MJ - Tell me about your video.

R - First I added the background, then I added the homes and then I start getting the little sticker things you can move around.

MJ - The animals?

R - Yeah and I added the bad guys, the police and the fire truck so they could get the babies out and bring them back home. 

MJ - I'm wondering what is your message?

R - To don't steal babies.  Don't leave your babies at home because this is what happens. 

MJ - So it is about being safe.

R - Take your babies to the grocery store if you're going out.  Don't leave them at home.  Good thing my mommy takes us to the grocery store with her.  She leaves R (brother) at home. 

MJ - Why do you think she leaves R at home?

R - I don't know but she tells him "don't open the door if anyone knocks".

MJ - R is quite a bit older than you isn't he?

R - Yeah.

MJ - You have created an important message about being safe.  



This is the ending to her video.  

R would love to receive comments about her video. 

3 comments:

  1. Heather, I love the idea behind what your student did here, and how you followed up with her to clarify the learning. It's great to see how Kindergarten students can think deeply about their learning as well.

    I noticed that the videos are private. Could you make them Unlisted or Public? I would love to share this post with the Kindergarten teachers at my school. We have iPads as well, and I think that this would be a great way to use them in the classroom as creation devices.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Aviva
    www.weinspirefutures.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aviva
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I usually check to make sure videos haven't defaulted to private. Hopefully you can access them now.

    R was so proud of her video and it has such a powerful message. We have found this to be one great way to engage students when using ipads. Public service type messages gives a purpose to their story line that goes beyond fantasy and fairy tale type stories.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, thanks for the reply! I absolutely love the videos, and I love the idea of pushing students beyond fantasy and fairy tales to stories with deeper meanings and messages. How do you get your students to think and talk in these ways? Do you have your students pre-plan what they're going to say, or do they make up their stories as they record? This is something that I've been contemplating a lot this year as a Grade 6 teacher, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this too. Thanks!

    Aviva
    www.weinspirefutures.com

    ReplyDelete